These insightful words come from Emily Wierenga’s memoir, Atlas Girl. I was privileged to be part of Emily’s launch team and won the map necklace pictured above with my grandfather’s clock & photos of my grandmother, father, mother and aunt. This lovely piece was created by Kashoan Ward at KraftyKash.
Kashoan can fashion special words, letters, Bible verses, quotes or vintage maps into necklaces and bracelets. (Click on the photo below left for a close up view of my necklace.)
For the subject of my map necklace, I chose my hometown—Kinderhook, New York, in the Hudson River Valley.
- Kinderhook’s the kind of place that still holds band concerts in the village green on hot summer nights.
- On Christmas Eve, the village Santas (volunteer firemen dressed in Santa suits) deliver gifts to every child in town.
- At one point during my childhood, every aunt, uncle and cousin on both sides of my family lived in Kinderhook.
- And I can’t say enough about our beautiful Catskill Mountains. They’re a heart-lifting view even on the gloomiest of days!
- Plus, Kinderhook is historic. It was named by Hendrick Hudson—it’s Dutch for children’s corner.
- And it’s the birthplace of Martin Van Buren, 8th Pres of the USA.
- The story goes that MVB coined the phrase OK from Old Kinderhook.
- Washington Irving was also a frequent visitor back in the day.
- So the name of the school from which I graduated is Ichabod Crane High School & the mascot is the Rider.
I left home & stayed away for about ten years before something drew me back. Now I live just south of my hometown but attend church there very Sunday.
If you’re ever up this way, be sure to stop by for real. I’d love to give you a tour!
Thanks for the blog visit! Blessings, friends!
****To learn more about Atlas Girl, CLICK HERE!
This week I might be linking up with Miscellany Monday, Amaze Me Monday, Motivation Monday, The Art of Homemaking Monday, Mix It Up Monday, Inspire Me Monday, The MM&M Monday Link Up, Sharing His Beauty, Mommmy Monday Blog Hop,Monday Musings, Hear It on Sunday, Modest Mondays, Book Notes, Make Your Home Sing Monday, Unforced Rhythms, Salt & Light, Busy Monday, Tell Me a True Story, Turn It Up Tuesday, Teach Me Tuesdays, The Bloggers’ Digest, Titus 2 Tuesdays, Teaching What Is Good, What I Learned This Week, Titus 2sday Link-up, Testimony Tuesday, Raising Homemakers, Imperfect Prose,The Bloggers’ Digest, WW Create with Joy, WW Catch My Words, WW Ms Mystery Case, Woman to Woman, WW Books & More, WW Mom’s Own Words, WW Stacy Uncorked, Jenny’s Wordless Wednesday, Mrs. Tee WW, Raising My Boys WW, WW @PD Mama, WW Blogspot, WW 5 Min for Mom, Mama to 5 WW, Wake Up Wednesday, Wholehearted Home Wednesdays, Winsome Wednesday, Wise Woman Wednesday, Three Word Wednesday, Works for Me Wednesday, Whimsical Wednesday, A Little R&R, Capture Your Journey Wednesday, The Barn Princess, Adorned from Above Wednesday Link Party, Whimsy Wednesday, In Him We Live, Words of Life Wednesday, Coffee for Your Heart, Juana Mikels Wednesday Link-up, In Him We Live, Hope in Every Season Homemaking Party, Thursday Favorite Things, Thriving Thursday, Hearts for Home, Throwback Thursday, Thoughtful Thursday, Cozy Book Hop, Booknificent Thursday, Tell His Story, Thought Provoking Thursday, From House to Home Link Party, Share the Joy Thursday, Time Travel Thursday,Thrive @Home Link Up, Grace at Home, Little Things Thursday, The Barn Princess, Create It Thursday, Throwback Thursday, Hearts for Home Hop, Christian Connection,Christian Fellowship Friday, Faith-filled Friday, Fantastic Friday, Faith & Fellowship Friday,Friendship Friday, Freedom Friday, Womanhood w/ Purpose Friday Link Up, Essential Friday Link-up, Fellowship Friday, Friday Finds, Fridays Unfolded, Everyday Jesus, On Your Heart, Anything Goes, Paula’s No Rules Weekend Hop, Missional Weekend Link Up, Saturday Sharefest, Saturday Situation,Heart Reflected, Recommendation Saturday, Still Saturday, Beauty Observed, Weekend No Rules Blog Hop, Fresh-brewed Sundays, Sunday Stillness, and The Sunday Community.